Friday, February 11, 2011

Once upon a Time in Mumbai


I saw the British build my Mumbai.
Little did I, or for that matter, did anyone know that they were building India’s heart and soul.

I saw the First ever Local train run from Victoria Terminus to Thane.
Little did I know that the same locals were going to be Mumbai’s lifeline in the centuries to come.


I marched on with others asking the same people who built my city to leave.


At Marine Drive’s footpath, I saw him spend a few sleepless nights.
Little did I know he’d be the greatest actor Indian Cinema has ever seen.

At Azad Maidan, I saw him practise tirelessly for hours and hours every single day.
Little did I know those were his stepping stones in becoming the Greatest Batsman ever!

I waited for 2 hours to get a movie ticket at Metro.
We didn’t buy a ticket then, we earned it.

The Irani shops at SoBo let me eat wonderful cakes.
Little did I know that the Monginis’ and the Ribbons and Balloons’ would away eat much of their business.


I used to travel from Bandra to Worli everyday in 15 minutes.
Little did I know that Mumbai’s landmark has been constructed to serve the same purpose today.

I sat in the first Metro Line from Chembur to Santa Cruz and did land once at the Navi Mumbai Airport.

I saw my city make and break peoples’ lives.

I’ve lived through centuries in this city, and now I wish to quit finally. But yet, some part of me still says, “Hold on for a little while longer buddy, there’s a lot more in store for you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment